LocationManchester, Greater Manchester
Salary£45000 - £70000 per annum + Generous pension, hybrid working etc.
Structural Analysis Methods Engineer
£45,000 - £70000 plus benefits
Manchester, Warrington, OR Derby - Hybrid/Remote Options
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we're doing something that's never been done before. We're revolutionising an industry. That's a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for the exciting role of Structural Analysis Methods Engineer, to be involved in an industry leading, cutting-edge project for a new type of power station.
The Structural Analysis Methods Engineer will sit within the Reactor Island Component Structural Analysis team and work with the Structural Analysis Methods Lead to design and deliver software to perform structural analysis and assessments. The role will work closely alongside the Reactor Island Components Structural Analysis and Design teams to provide them with software to enable rapid design optimisation and efficiently deliver component substantiation.
Examples of software that the role would manage or contribute to development are:
- Defector - A python application to perform R6 defect tolerance assessments.
- Disintegrator - A python application to perform ASME III NB-3200 Design by Analysis assessments, including environmental fatigue.
- MathCAD sheets to perform structural sizing and assessment calculations.
- Abaqus python applications to perform model build or postprocessing.
- Fortran subroutines for load application or material modelling in Abaqus.
- Plan, manage and deliver internal software development work packages in line with user requirements to support the overall programme.
- Working in accordance with the Develop Software Process.
- Identify opportunities for software to provide efficiency savings in structural analysis and assessment processes.
- Delivery of projects against defined budgets.
- Delivery of outputs in line with agreed delivery dates.
- Development of quality software to minimise peer review comments.
- Through life support to software including bug investigation and updates to resolve emergent requests or issues.
Key Results & What Can Be Achieved in The Role:
6 months: Integrate into business and support individual functions/aspects of wider software.
1 year: Own individual software packages, present externally on software development (including to ONR if requested) and work to develop supply chain capability.
3 years: Run small team of defined scope/responsibility and work with development of software to support interaction with digital twin
The Key Selection Criteria:
- We are looking for candidates with a moderate to high level of experience and skills in some or all of the software competencies below:
- Python - NumPy, SciPy, pandas, sphinx. Experience of other software languages (C++, Fortran) also valuable.
- Software Development Lifecycle - requirements, implementation, tests.
- Software design/architecture.
- Version control - Git.
- Agile/SCRUM - DevOps.
- Experience of structural assessment to codes and standards, preferably nuclear such as ASME III and R6. The candidate should be able to apply their experience to translate the requirements of the codes and standards into software requirements.
- Experience of building, analysing and post-processing finite element models, preferably in Abaqus. Experience of using software to automate model build or postprocessing would also be valuable.
- Programme Management, including:
- Definition of a project/programme of work
- Delivery of programme milestones in line with agreed plans and budget
- Management of risks.
- Experience of working with Azure Cloud Computing would be beneficial, but not required.
Qualifications & Training:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or a related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in a combination of:
- Software development - preferably formal software development following processes, informal development writing scripts for automation would also be considered.
- Engineering analysis and assessment - preferably structural FEA, other disciplines such as CFD/Thermal Hydraulics/EM Physics would also be transferrable skills.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Pay and Benefits
We anticipate paying a salary between £45,000 - £70,000 plus benefits
- Bonus - Performance related bonus of up to 12.5%
- Benefits Allowance - £2200, enabling you to create a bespoke package
- Pension - 12% employer and 6% employee contributions.
- Holidays - 28 days holiday (+ public holidays) and the ability to buy or sell up to 4 days
- Private Medical Insurance - BUPA single cover health care
- Life Assurance - 6x pensionable pay
- £250 - One-off payment for new starters for home office purchases
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We're doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there's a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
We're one of a handful of employers who can genuinely say we're a strengths-based organisation - our people are here because of what makes them great, and our job is to help them make the best contribution of their careers doing work they love.
The start-up mentality coupled with our strengths-approach to people means there are opportunities to grow in ways and jobs you probably would be barred from doing in more traditional companies.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
At Rolls-Royce SMR, we are committed to ensuring that our teams reflect the communities we serve and that everyone can be themselves at work. We know that diverse teams are more innovative and get better results, and that our people can thrive and be more successful in truly inclusive cultures. Join us and help shape our culture. Find out more about our inclusion pledge.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and help shape our culture.
Our Application Process:
The recruitment process for this vacancy is being handled by Advanced Resource Managers, an official recruitment partner to Rolls Royce SMR.
RR SMR have a 2-stage interview process and they can be online or in-person. Please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made.
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above, please contact Jasmine White via 02392 458 027 to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.
Our Screening Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in following additional screening:-
- Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
- Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
This vacancy is being advertised by either Advanced Resource Managers Limited, Advanced Resource Managers IT Limited or Advanced Resource Managers Engineering Limited ("ARM"). ARM is a specialist talent acquisition and management consultancy. We provide technical contingency recruitment and a portfolio of more complex resource solutions. Our specialist recruitment divisions cover the entire technical arena, including some of the most economically and strategically important industries in the UK and the world today. We will never send your CV without your permission.
Email me jobs like this
A jolly honorary fellow: Derek Goff
Serocor's Learning and Development Manager, Derek Goff has received an IRP Honorary Fellowship from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC). The fellowship is the highest accolade awarded by the Institute…
ARM Contractor FAQs
Our Commonly Asked Questions Around Contracting If you’re considering becoming a contractor and need more information on what is involved and how it works, you have certainly landed in the…
Freshly Bronzed: Defence Employer Recognition Scheme
We are pleased to announce... the Serocor Group has received the Bronze Award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS). The ERS encourages employers to support defence and inspire others…