Salary£45000 - £65000 per annum + Generous pension, hybrid working etc.
- RPV Internals & Core Components Design Engineer - Lead
- £45,000 - £65,000 plus benefits
- Manchester, Warrington, OR Derby - Hybrid
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we're doing something that's never been done before. We're revolutionising an industry. That's a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for the exciting role of a Lead Component Design Engineer, to be involved in in a game changing role as we strive to make the nuclear industry more diverse.
The Lead Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) Internals & Core Component Design Engineer will work within cross functional teams and with the global supply chain to deliver product designs for components within the scope of the role. The role requires that the candidate work to integrate all factors into the design process to define the product definition and supporting information.
The role will work on component product development all through the product lifecycle and be part of the team with product ownership of assigned scope. This will involve working in developing, iterative and ambiguous environments and it is essential the candidate can handle this stage of the product lifecycle.
What is unique about the role?
- The opportunity to work with the big players in the nuclear industry.
- A rare opportunity to be responsible for designing the core components.
- Fantastic career growth development, and to join a great team culture.
The Key Selection Criteria:
- Product Knowledge
General component design knowledge of the following components:
- RPV Internals and its constituent parts
- Fuel Assembly and its constituent parts
- Control Rods
- Neutron Source
This should include understanding of established designs of these components, relevant key functional and performance requirements, main factors that require consideration when developing a new design for these components and the key challenges associated with these components (new designs and existing designs).
- Relevant Component Design Experience
- Experience in the production of the full suite of documentation required for the component design through all phases of the product lifecycle. Experience with the technical review and approval of documentation is also valuable.
- Examples of this documentation includes:
- Requirements specifications and compliance assessments
- Design drawings and specifications
- 3D models
- Substantiation reports and other relevant safety documentation
- Design definition reports
- DFMEAs and feature classifications
- Experience working with other technical areas.
Knowledge of the supporting technical disciplines that are key to the development of RPV Internals and Core components, with ability to operate alongside these disciplines and perform customer role to ensure outputs are aligned to support development of the component definition. Examples of these disciplines include:
- Structural & dynamic performance (covering normal operating and design basis accident conditions)
- Thermal hydraulic performance
- Radiation shielding
- Core design and reactor physics
- Plant performance
- Reactor criticality
- Product Operational Challenges
- Knowledge of the key operational challenges, with the ability to integrate knowledge of established operational experience and relevant good practice into the development of the component design. Example topics this should cover are material degradation and component ageing, reactor performance, refuelling operations, in-service inspection, and maintenance operations
- Communication & Planning, Coordination.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proven capability to convey complex technical issues to a range of audiences, including senior management.
- Capable of presenting technical and safety case arguments, including the compilation of claims, arguments, and evidence in formal documentation.
- Experience facilitating technical discussions with third parties (e.g. customers, suppliers, and regulators).
- Experience with planning, scheduling, and coordinating your own work and that of others across functional boundaries.
- Experience of leading and mentoring others, assuming a technical lead role over others both internally and externally to the team.
Qualifications & Training:
- BEng or MEng in process, mechanical or chemical engineering (or equivalent technical experience).
- Chartered Engineer, or working towards it, with relevant professional institute.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant product design experience.
- Experience with relevant design codes for core components, preferably ASME.
- Experience with relevant engineering software for a component engineer role, such as CAD software (NX, Autodesk), or MathCAD and Matlab.
- Knowledge of relevant material degradation challenges.
- Sufficient knowledge of supporting technical disciplines relevant to RPV Internals and Core components (e.g. thermal hydraulics, radiation shielding, core physics), including ability to interact and perform customer role in those supporting analyses.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Pay and Benefits
We anticipate paying a salary of between £45,000 - £65,000 plus benefits
- Bonus - Performance related bonus of up to 12.5%
- Benefits Allowance - £2200, enabling you to create a bespoke package
- Pension - 12% employer and 6% employee contributions.
- Holidays - 28 days holiday (+ public holidays) and the ability to buy or sell up to 4 days
- Private Medical Insurance - BUPA single cover health care
- Life Assurance - 6x pensionable pay
- £250 - One-off payment for new starters for home office purchases
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We're doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there's a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
Our Application Process:
The recruitment process for this vacancy is being handled by Advanced Resource Managers, an official recruitment partner to Rolls Royce SMR.
RR SMR have a 2-stage interview process and they can be online or in-person. Please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made.
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above, please contact Jasmine White via 02392 458 027 to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.
Our Screening Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in the following additional screening:-
- Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
- Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
This vacancy is being advertised by either Advanced Resource Managers Limited, Advanced Resource Managers IT Limited or Advanced Resource Managers Engineering Limited ("ARM"). ARM is a specialist talent acquisition and management consultancy. We provide technical contingency recruitment and a portfolio of more complex resource solutions. Our specialist recruitment divisions cover the entire technical arena, including some of the most economically and strategically important industries in the UK and the world today. We will never send your CV without your permission.
Email me jobs like this
Leadership with Leon
Whilst climbing the Gran Paradiso for charity recently, I got the chance to think more deeply about what leadership actually means to me. Nothing makes you think more than when…
First or last job interview – which is better?
When an invitation for a job interview comes through, many candidates often struggle to pick a day, time and position, if they are given the choice. And those that are…
IWD 2021: Lockdown Ladies
Go back to International Women’s Day on 8 March 2020. To think that we’d be using words like "lockdown," "home-schooling" and "furlough" would be unthinkable - for a few more…