Salary£45000 - £55000 per annum + plus benefits
- Component Design Engineer/Pressuriser Engineer
- Starting from £45,000 - £55,000
- Manchester, Warrington, OR Derby - Hybrid/Remote Options
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we're doing something that's never been done before. We're revolutionising an industry. That's a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for the exciting role of Component Design Engineer to be involved in a game changing role as we strive to make the nuclear industry more diverse.
The Component Design Engineer will work within cross functional teams and with the global supply chain to deliver product designs for components within the scope of the role. The role requires that the candidate work to integrate all cross functional factors into the design process to define the product definition and supporting information.
The role will work on concept product development all through the product lifecycle and be part of the team with product ownership of assigned scope. This will involve working in developing, iterative and ambiguous environments and it is essential the candidate can handle this stage of the product lifecycle.
Key Results & What Can Be Achieved in The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team that will resolve technical challenges, with creative solutions, to meet global environmental and energy security obligations.
The successful candidate will be embedded in teams leading the product development for the SMR, internally and in the global supply chain. You will also work at ensuring the design gains regulatory approval through the GDA process.
The role will see product development go through the entire product lifecycle from design into manufacturing, installation, commissioning, and operation which provides a unique experience in the Nuclear Industry.
The Key Selection Criteria:
Product Knowledge of Component Design:
- Component design and construction knowledge
- Component performance verification knowledge
- Component design code knowledge
Pressuriser design, verification, and manufacture knowledge:
- Knowledge of Component Design analysis requirements.
- An understanding of examination, maintenance, inspection, and testing requirements.
Knowledge of ASME III BPVC or equivalent code:
- Knowledge of Industry standard design codes
Software & Analysis
- Competent in use of CAD toolset (such as Inventor, NX, TeamCenter). Competence in use of Finite Element Analysis tools and interpretation of results would be beneficial.
- Familiar with requirements capture and development into product definition.
- Competent in the use of MathCAD and experienced in producing calculations.
- Capable of checking analysis reports and documentation.
Communication & Technical Skills
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proven capability to convey complex technical issues to a range of audiences, including senior management.
- Capable of presenting technical and safety case arguments, including the compilation of claims, arguments, and evidence in formal documentation.
- Experience facilitating technical discussions with third parties (e.g. customers, suppliers, and regulators).
Qualifications & Training:
- BEng or MEng in process, mechanical or chemical engineering (or equivalent technical experience).
- Chartered Engineer, or working towards it.
- Proven component design product experience either in Nuclear, or a highly regulated industry
- Knowledge of industry relevant design codes.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Pay and Benefits
We anticipate paying a salary of between £45,000 - £55,000 plus:
- Bonus - Performance related bonus of up to 12.5%
- Benefits Allowance - £2200, enabling you to create a bespoke package
- Pension - 12% employer and 6% employee contributions.
- Holidays - 28 days holiday (+ public holidays) and the ability to buy or sell up to 4 days
- Private Medical Insurance - BUPA single cover health care
- Life Assurance - 6x pensionable pay
- £250 - One-off payment for new starters for home office purchases
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We're doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there's a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
We're one of a handful of employers who can genuinely say we're a strengths-based organisation - our people are here because of what makes them great, and our job is to help them make the best contribution of their careers doing work they love.
The start-up mentality coupled with our strengths-approach to people means there are opportunities to grow in different ways and jobs you probably would be barred from doing in more traditional companies.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
At Rolls-Royce SMR, we are committed to ensuring that our teams reflect the communities we serve and that everyone can be themselves at work. We know that diverse teams are more innovative and get better results, and that our people can thrive and be more successful in truly inclusive cultures. Join us and help shape our culture. Find out more about our inclusion pledge.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and help shape our culture.
Our Application Process:
The recruitment process for this vacancy is being handled by Advanced Resource Managers, an official recruitment partner to Rolls Royce SMR.
RR SMR have a 2-stage interview process and they can be online or in-person. Please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made.
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above, please contact to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.
Our Screening Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in following additional screening:-
- Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
- Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
This vacancy is being advertised by either Advanced Resource Managers Limited, Advanced Resource Managers IT Limited or Advanced Resource Managers Engineering Limited ("ARM"). ARM is a specialist talent acquisition and management consultancy. We provide technical contingency recruitment and a portfolio of more complex resource solutions. Our specialist recruitment divisions cover the entire technical arena, including some of the most economically and strategically important industries in the UK and the world today. We will never send your CV without your permission.
Email me jobs like this
Eek! Awkward interview questions
Brilliant! You’ve got an interview for that job you really want. You’re elated, beaming, feeling rather chuffed and then… it hits. You’ve got an interview. An interview. But that also…
Why we Love Working in a Team
Ask anyone what they love most about work and in most cases, the first thing they mention is 'the people'. We spend a massive proportion of our life at work…
What is Facilities Management?
Defining Facilities Management Facilities management refers to the management and maintenance of physical assets, systems, and services required for the operation of a business or organisation. It involves ensuring that…