Please check your email .
The clients Electric Vehicle (EV) propulsion test capability has grown significantly over the last 3 years, through both large scale investment and customer specific investment. A Chief Engineer is now required to provide technical and strategic leadership EV propulsion side of the business across two sites in Milton Keynes.
As a key driver of business growth in Vehicle Electrification
The focus of this role is to provide industry-leading technical direction to a team of engineers and technicians to ensure delivery of customer EV powertrain projects to schedule, cost and quality targets, with regular interaction with our customers, internal departments and the senior leadership team.
Applicants must be highly motivated, well-regarded in their field and possess a strong ambition to succeed within a technically challenging and highly innovative setting.
Technical and strategic leadership, as well as excellent commercial acumen is essential.
• Engineering oversight and technical direction to a team of engineers and technicians
• Developing engineering competence within the EV Propulsion Test and Project Support departments with respect to automotive electric machines, power electronics, and power transfer
• Continuous development of safe systems of work for operating and troubleshooting electrified powertrain and battery systems under test, as well as AC/DC, mechanical and software test infrastructure
• Provide guidance and best practice for the specification, installation, and commissioning of complex EV powertrain test and measurement systems
• Specify and design test equipment upgrades, changes, and replacements including project management and change control processes
• Work with test equipment suppliers and internal departments to deliver cutting edge test methodology, ensuring best practice in engineering standards and compliance with relevant directives
• Create a culture of technical rigour within the team to generate high quality and right first-time test data
• Drive continuous improvement, ensuring consistently high quality data output and excellent customer satisfaction
• Guide problem solving activities through the coaching of techniques and tools to deliver robust solutions based on root cause analysis
• Support both internal and external audits with technical and operational knowledge
• Liaise with the current and potential EV powertrain test customers, working with Business Development and Commercial teams as required to provide expert technical input and showcase the company capabilties to customers
• Represent the companies externally as an EV powertrain technical expert at, for example, customer meetings, trade shows, conferences, and industry groups as appropriate
• Leading role in development of capability, skills and growth plans, working with the Directors to establish the business vision and the strategy to achieve it
• Review customer future business plans and use this knowledge to develop new or improved service offerings and business investment business cases
• Work closely with senior stakeholders to develop business cases for investment, including the next major phases of the new EV powertrain facility and any other opportunities identified in the EV Propulsion strategy
• Monitor developments in vehicle electrification and analyse the impact on testing requirements. Monitor the international and regional standards and procedures relevant to electrification. Assess the impact on testing requirements and how it may affect the facilities, equipment and knowledge capabilities.
• Developing skills strategies according to industry trends and likely future customer requirements; creating and implementing training in conjunction with the EV Test Manager
• Fostering customer relationship, adding value by providing technical advice and helping to shape their test requirements
• Work closely with the Sales team and the Directors to ascertain industry trends from customers, suppliers and competitors in order to develop our strategies for EV Propulsion (and other electrified powertrains) as a business, to grow current service offerings and identify other types of opportunities (consultancy, sub-system testing & development, etc)
Required skills and experience
The successful candidate must:
• Have experience in a similar leadership position, bringing a strong understanding of business commercial and financial functions
• Have experience creating and implementing business strategies from opportunity assessment, through business case development and implementation
• Have strong knowledge of international and regional industry standards such as homologation processes
• Be recognised within their field as a technical expert
• Have experience of leading or coaching a technical team in a test focussed environment
• Have a degree in Engineering or applicable science
• Possess a proven technical understanding of EV powertrains, including motor and power electronics and power conversion theory
• Has proven experience with up to date electronic controls theory
• Be comfortable owning, adapting and delivering plans against fast changing requirements and tight timescales
15% management bonus, based on performance
" Car allowance £425/mth = 5.1k/year
" Private medical insurance
" Pension contributions 3% employee, 5% company
Register with ARM's job board to receive the latest opportunities that match your criteria straight in your email inbox, manage your job search and receive our newsletter.
Looking for a different recruitment experience? Work with an award-winning multidisciplinary team of technology and engineering recruitment experts, find out exactly what makes ARM stand apart.