Please check your email .
Principal Geotechnical Engineer vacancy
A competent Principal Engineer would be expected to be a chartered professional with an established technical capability, able to direct the work of others and manage commercial projects both technically and contractually. They will also be able to demonstrate an ability to bring work to us through some marketing and business development and maintain and enhance client commitment to the company. Some Principal Engineers may hold a technical specialism, others may have enhanced project management capabilities based on sound technical skills, but in both, professional competency will underpin these qualities. They will be responsible to Directors and line managers from the Operations Team for the financial success of the projects for which they hold the Project Management role and for the maintaining and developing of client relations within projects and as part of general business development.
The following competencies identify the criteria to be demonstrated.
A Principal Engineer Grade member of staff will be able:
1. To be recognised as a competent professional at Chartered status by one or more recognised UK professional bodies i.e. CEng, CEnv, CGeol, and CSci recognised by the ROGEP process.
2. To have proven worth as a project manager in the running of larger investigation projects (typically greater than £20k in value) and design projects to required standards meeting technical, financial and programme targets, reporting generally by exception to senior staff.
3. To be technically competent across one or more areas of consultancy; geotechnical, geoenvironmental, engineering geology and waste such that they are able to:
a. To be an established and competent report writer – with reports identifying key elements including accurate ground models, site constraints, environmental issues, third party issues and so on, showing a detailed understanding of all aspects of the project and the report, requiring minimal review and changes. To be comfortable writing reports which are factually accurate and should provide defensible recommendations or conclusions with regard to the particular subject matter (contam/Geotech/design etc.). The conclusions and discussions should be fully understood by the PE, and able to withstand reasonable technical interrogation/discussions with more senior staff/approvers.
b. To be able to present complex technical arguments verbally and within a report structure with clarity and to the standards required by us.
c. To be able to check reports including testing schedules and ground/conceptual site models and design recommendations with confidence and accuracy such that minimal or no changes are required by the approver.
d. To be able to demonstrate technical competence and confidence in meetings with clients, regulators, co-consultants and the like, and to be able to lead these meetings
e. To know when and where to seek advice from others.
f. To have sufficient confidence in this knowledge and position to challenge and debate with colleagues at all levels.
4. To be a competent line manager for Chartered Senior Engineer, Senior Engineer and Engineer Grade staff and to be able to provide measured feedback to all grades of staff.
5. To be aware of and to uphold the commercial, financial and legal imperatives of our relationships with clients, other professionals and suppliers.
6. To uphold the Mission, Vision and Values of our company and help others to do so in their careers with the company.
7. To be able to demonstrate success with client care, including the introduction of some new clients or the continued maintenance of existing ones and some marketing of company services to prospective clients.
8. To contribute to the professional awareness of our company by the industry through publishing of papers, presentation of CPD to external parties and the like.
9. To act as a role model and mentor for the development of less experienced staff.
10. To be a technical ‘sounding board’ for staff in the area of their recognised specialism.
11. To work with more senior staff in the developing of our technical competence and strategic skill development.
12. To be able to independently provide appropriate decisions and guidance to clients going forwards, the ability to make final project-decisions regarding technical aspects of areas in which they are experienced, and to make informed judgements on site issues.
Register with ARM's job board to receive the latest opportunities that match your criteria straight in your email inbox, manage your job search and receive our newsletter.
Looking for a different recruitment experience? Work with an award-winning multidisciplinary team of technology and engineering recruitment experts, find out exactly what makes ARM stand apart.