Please check your email .
Health & Safety Generalist
Contract - Dec 2019
Rate - NEG
Purpose of the Job will be working to improve health & safety performance. The post-holder works as part of the Heath & Safety team to promote improvements in health and safety management and performance. They are to work closely with the project teams to ensure integration of the Target Zero culture into daily work programmes on all sites and to promote various safety improvements and initiatives.
This position will utilise the broad skill base of a health and safety professional to support the changing nature of the project as it passes through its final stages of construction.
- Assist in the health and safety aspects of Procurement including development of documentation and evaluation of tender submissions.
- Work with contractors to enable them to understand and deliver their commitments under the contract with regards to health and safety standards.
- Critically review Contractor and designer health and safety related submissions to ensure they meet client and legal requirements (e.g. Construction Phase Plans including designers and construction risk assessments, method statements etc).
- Lead and assist in regular documented monitoring activities including on-site surveillance, process audits and project assessments (CDM & Gateway) and other assurance activities.
- Advise Delivery Teams on health and safety matters and assist them to discharge their duties.
- Assist with the sharing of best practice, positive safety performance and learning from incidents, including the development and roll out of health and safety campaigns eg. stepping up week.
- Lead and assist in the development and delivery of Target Zero initiatives maintaining a common approach with other members of the health and safety teams.
- Produce required reports (including data analysis) and assist Principal Contractors to do similar.
- Conduct investigations into incidents as required.
- Assist with the production of health & safety documentation required for completion and handover including the Health and Safety File, training materials and O&M Manuals
- Co-operate within all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this project by taking personal responsibility for working to the Target Zero principles.
Main challenges of the job
- Multiple contractor interfaces with varying levels of safety performance.
- Improving health & safety performance over a number of contractors and site locations.
- Working with a number of delivery and functional teams maintaining common approach with other members of the H&S teams.
- Balancing a variety of priorities to ensure timely delivery in accordance with agreed deadlines.
- Developing a collaborative approach to encouraging improvements in health & safety performance.
- Winning the hearts and minds of the contractor community in order to engage them to raise the bar.
Dimensions & Interfaces (both internal and external)
- Interface with multiple contractors on a number of sites.
- Maintain strong working relationships with Project Managers (and their teams), key contractor personnel and all other health & safety personnel associated with Crossrail.
- Liaison with senior managers, enforcement authorities, utility companies, and stakeholders as required and following agreed guidelines.
- Maintain regular interface with and support to the central health & safety functional team.
- Liaison with industry (partners) forums and working groups.
- Experience in Construction and/or Estate Management health and safety management.
- Ability to oversee health and safety aspects of Construction and Testing & Commissioning.
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate would be a desirable qualification, but those with an interest in health and safety who have undertaken the roles of either construction manager or field engineer will also be suitable.
- Experience of incident investigation
- Experience of working with M&E and /or Rail systems during energisation and bringing into use operational infrastructure assets.
- Experience of developing, managing and delivering health and safety initiatives.
- Experience of communicating health and safety information
- Experience of undertaking assurance activities.
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as contribute to and support the Health and Safety Teams.
The role will require occasional site attendance out of normal working hours (to include weekend, nights and bank holidays) as requested by the Project Manager/H&S Manager . Wherever possible this will be notified to you at least 5 days in advance unless there is an unforeseen emergency situation and this will be managed through local agreement with your Line Manager with time off in lieu agreed at time of initial request.
Register with ARM's job board to receive the latest opportunities that match your criteria straight in your email inbox, manage your job search and receive our newsletter.
Looking for a different recruitment experience? Work with an award-winning multidisciplinary team of technology and engineering recruitment experts, find out exactly what makes ARM stand apart.